GeoServer Proxy Extension OpenLayers
stash
2009-11-13 12:38:52 UTC
Hello,

I want to show some data with a wfs in openlayers. I already know, that i
have to configure a proxy that I can do this. With geoserver you have the
opportunity to install a plugin called ProxyExtension, to do exactly this.

http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/GeoServer+Proxy+Extension

I installed the plugin and the example with the redirect to google works
(http://[your_geoserver_domain]/geoserver/rest/proxy?url=http://www.google.com)
--> the proxy is installed correctly.

But now there are the next problems.

1. What for a hostname do i have to configure (Do i have to enter the ip of
my pc, or the ip of the geoserver pc, ...?)

2. Do I have to set up a Openlayers.proxyhost in my program. How would this
look like in my case?

I hope someone can help me with this problem. I already tried so many
different things, but nothing worked. (Either I get no response text in
firebug or I get a bad request)

Thanks for your answers.

Regards
stash
Roald de Wit
2009-11-13 21:52:05 UTC
Hi stash,

I could be mistaken, but the GS ProxyExtension is not going to help you
if you don't serve your OL web app from the same domain (localhost:8080
in your case, IIRC). Can you give a bit more information on what your
setup looks like? Do you use Apache for example or another web server?
Does GS run by itself or in Tomcat for example?

Have you ever tried downloading an OL 2.8 zip file, extracting it
somewhere in your document root in Apache (for example) and run the OL
examples, WFS ones in particular? Because if those work, the proxy.cgi
in the examples dir works. You can then add 'localhost:8080' to
allowedHosts (in proxy.cgi) and try your app from that directory. Once
that works, you can move your app somewhere else and put proxy.cgi in a
better place and get it to work.

Regards, Roald
stash
stash
2009-11-16 09:49:24 UTC
Post by Roald de Wit
[...]
thanks for your answer. I have installed GS version 2.0 itself (without
tomcat or something else). I copied the OpenLayers folder (with examples...)
into my geoserver home_directory and started the examples. but the wfs
didn't work.

Because nothing worked, I installed geoserver on the same pc as my
application is running (for testing). But the dissappointing fact is, that
the wfs isn't running too, even when app and geoserver is on the same pc. Or
does this matter, where geoserver is running, when the layer in geoserver
gets his data from a database (oracle) which is on an other pc. (because
that is the fact in my case).

Regards
stash
Andreas Hocevar
2009-11-16 12:29:17 UTC
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM, stash
Post by stash
Hello,
thanks for your answer. I have installed GS version 2.0 itself (without
tomcat or something else). I copied the OpenLayers folder (with examples...)
into my geoserver home_directory and started the examples. but the wfs
didn't work.
What do you mean by home_directory? $GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR/www/ would be
the place to put your html stuff, and then you would access it from
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/www/

Now if you use the GeoServer proxy extension in this context, you have
to add localhost to the Permitted Hostnames.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Andreas.
--
Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/
stash
2009-11-16 16:28:12 UTC
Post by Andreas Hocevar
What do you mean by home_directory? $GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR/www/ would be
the place to put your html stuff, and then you would access it from
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/www/
Now if you use the GeoServer proxy extension in this context, you have
to add localhost to the Permitted Hostnames.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Andreas.
Hello,
thanks for your answer. I copied it in the right directory now and i added
localhost to my hostnames. But when I launch one of the examples the wfs is
not shown.

I always get the following error.
XMLhttpRequest
Access denied

I think thats because of the proxy but I don't know how to solve it.

thanks for your effort.

regards
stash
Andreas Hocevar
2009-11-16 16:35:19 UTC
Post by stash
thanks for your answer. I copied it in the right directory now and i added
localhost to my hostnames. But when I launch one of the examples the wfs is
not shown.
I always get the following error.
XMLhttpRequest
Access denied
I think thats because of the proxy but I don't know how to solve it.
No, this is because you have a missing (or incorrect)
OpenLayers.ProxyHost setting in your example.

In a script tag after you include OpenLayers.js in your example html
page, add:

OpenLayers.ProxyHost="/geoserver/rest/proxy";

Regards,
Andreas.
--
Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/
Andreas Hocevar
2009-11-16 16:39:48 UTC
Post by Andreas Hocevar
Post by stash
thanks for your answer. I copied it in the right directory now and i added
localhost to my hostnames. But when I launch one of the examples the wfs is
not shown.
I always get the following error.
XMLhttpRequest
Access denied
I think thats because of the proxy but I don't know how to solve it.
No, this is because you have a missing (or incorrect)
OpenLayers.ProxyHost setting in your example.
In a script tag after you include OpenLayers.js in your example html
OpenLayers.ProxyHost="/geoserver/rest/proxy";
The above should read

OpenLayers.ProxyHost="/geoserver/rest/proxy?url=";

Regards,
Andreas.
--
Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/
stash
2009-11-16 16:58:38 UTC
Post by Andreas Hocevar
Post by Andreas Hocevar
No, this is because you have a missing (or incorrect)
OpenLayers.ProxyHost setting in your example.
In a script tag after you include OpenLayers.js in your example html
OpenLayers.ProxyHost="/geoserver/rest/proxy";
The above should read
OpenLayers.ProxyHost="/geoserver/rest/proxy?url=";
Regards,
Andreas.
Hello,
thanks for your very fast answer. I replaced the line for the proxyhost with
'OpenLayers.ProxyHost="/geoserver/rest/proxy?url=";'
--> Unfortunately I get the same error.

It's really frustrating.

Do you have any other idea.

Regards
stash
Andreas Hocevar
2009-11-16 17:02:11 UTC
Post by stash
Post by Andreas Hocevar
Post by Andreas Hocevar
No, this is because you have a missing (or incorrect)
OpenLayers.ProxyHost setting in your example.
In a script tag after you include OpenLayers.js in your example html
OpenLayers.ProxyHost="/geoserver/rest/proxy";
The above should read
OpenLayers.ProxyHost="/geoserver/rest/proxy?url=";
Regards,
Andreas.
Hello,
thanks for your very fast answer. I replaced the line for the proxyhost with
'OpenLayers.ProxyHost="/geoserver/rest/proxy?url=";'
--> Unfortunately I get the same error.
It's really frustrating.
Do you have any other idea.
Only if you provide more context:

* the code of the example you are trying to run
* the url you are accessing it through

Regards,
Andreas.
Post by stash
Regards
stash
--
Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/
stash
2009-11-16 19:20:02 UTC
Post by Andreas Hocevar
* the code of the example you are trying to run
* the url you are accessing it through
Hello,
yes I think this is the best idea to solve my problem. I use the following
code. It's a wms (my base layer) with a background card and a wfs with some
points located somewhere in denmark.

<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="OpenLayers-2.8/theme/default/style.css"
type="text/css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css" />
<script src="OpenLayers-2.8/lib/OpenLayers.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var map, layer;

function init(){
OpenLayers.ProxyHost="/geoserver/rest/proxy?url=";

var max_Extent = new OpenLayers.Bounds(
-198, -98.68117980957031,
198, 92.30477600097656
);

var bounds = new OpenLayers.Bounds(
1, 45,
16, 60
);

var options = {
controls: [],
maxExtent: max_Extent,
maxResolution: 0.5,
projection: "EPSG:4326",
units: 'degrees'

};

map = new OpenLayers.Map('map', options);

layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "OpenLayers WMS",
"http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms", {layers: 'topp:country'}
);
map.addLayer(layer);

layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WFS( "Owl Survey",
"http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wfs",
{typename: "topp:MY_GAZETTEER", maxfeatures: 10},
{ featureClass: OpenLayers.Feature.WFS});
map.addLayer(layer);
map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.LayerSwitcher());

map.zoomToExtent(bounds);
}
</script>
</head>
<h1 id="title">WFS Points</h1>
Using a Layer.WFS with a featureClass, one can take in XML data
from a WFS class and display it any way you like.

The wms is working, the wfs not. My browser (Internet explorer) tells me an
error at the xmlhttprequest (Access denied).

Thanks for your help.

Best regards
stash
Pedro Baracho
2009-11-16 19:39:23 UTC
What is the link on your browser when you open the example?

is it http:// ... or file:// ?

That message from IE is exactly the Cross Domain AJAX Request thing. You can
set the Security config of IE to None also. I think that will solve the
problem for IE.

Cheers
http://n2.nabble.com/GeoServer-Proxy-Extension-OpenLayers-tp3998936p4014088.html
Pedro Baracho
stash
2009-11-17 11:35:32 UTC
Post by Pedro Baracho
In fact, changing the security settings won't solve the problem if you are
accessing it via file://
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Pedro Baracho
Post by Pedro Baracho
What is the link on your browser when you open the example?
is it http:// ... or file:// ?
That message from IE is exactly the Cross Domain AJAX Request thing. You
can set the Security config of IE to None also. I think that will solve the
problem for IE.
Hello,
thanks for the answer. When I open my html file the browser opens it as a
file.
Is there any possibility how to solve the problem when i open it as a file?

(I develop a application in visual studio with openlayers. When I launch my
app in visual studio the app will be opened as a html site
(http://localhost:1234/Default.aspx). But there is the same problem with the
http request.

Furthermore when I try to change the security settings to none the lowest
level is "medium" (how can i change it to none?)

Hope you can help me.

Best regards
stash
Andreas Hocevar
2009-11-17 12:13:50 UTC
Post by stash
thanks for the answer. When I open my html file the browser opens it as a
file.
Is there any possibility how to solve the problem when i open it as a file?
No. OpenLayers is a *web* mapping library. I already told you to access
your page via http://localhost:8080/geoserver/www/<whatever>.
Post by stash
(I develop a application in visual studio with openlayers. When I launch my
app in visual studio the app will be opened as a html site
(http://localhost:1234/Default.aspx). But there is the same problem with the
http request.
Then you have to search for or write your own proxy in asp, or configure
the built-in http server of visual studio to use geoserver in a virtual
folder (e.g. http://localhost/1234/geoserver).
Post by stash
Furthermore when I try to change the security settings to none the lowest
level is "medium" (how can i change it to none?)
You should not do that.
Post by stash
Hope you can help me.
You need to think about deployment of your application. This could be
the key to solving your problem. Your users won't run OpenLayers off
visual studio. You will have an httpd (in your case probably IIS), and
you need to configure that to provide GeoServer at the same origin. IIRC
this is called "Virtual Folder" (or even Proxy) in IIS.

Regards,
Andreas.
--
Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/
stash
2009-11-17 14:55:57 UTC
Post by stash
Hope you can help me.
You need to think about deployment of your application. This could be
the key to solving your problem. Your users won't run OpenLayers off
visual studio. You will have an httpd (in your case probably IIS), and
you need to configure that to provide GeoServer at the same origin. IIRC
this is called "Virtual Folder" (or even Proxy) in IIS.
Regards,
Andreas.
Hello,

ok, that sounds a bit complicated, but thanks for the answer.

At the moment i have the following situation. When I launch my example app
as a file, I get an error (xmlhttprequest). Then i copied the example code
in my visualstudio and made a asp.net application. There, when I launch my
application, the app starts as html (not as a file) in this case I don't get
an error, but the dissapointing fact is, that I don't see the points of my
wfs (only the wms is shown).

It's really great that I don't get an xmlhttprequest anymore, but my wfs is
still not visible.

Is my code correct?

Best Regards
stash
stash
2009-11-19 08:07:32 UTC
Hello,
finally I made it that my wfs is shown too. Because my geoserver and my app
are on the same pc I don't need to declare a openlayers.proxyhost. That was
the failure in my code.

Now it's working. The dissapointing point is, that my app and geoserver have
to be on the same pc.

Regards
stash
justLearning
2010-01-06 02:51:56 UTC
Hi,

I have downloaded the openLayers examples, and run them for example via,
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/OpenLayers-2.8/examples/getfeatureinfo-control.html
... the page, openlayers, the data... it all works, but when I go to
identify a feature, the proxy.cgi script is spit back to me inside the
webpage. Is this a python problem, or something mis-configured in geoserver
or ???

Thank You!!!
Mª®k
2010-01-08 15:42:34 UTC
Post by justLearning
Hi,
I have downloaded the openLayers examples, and run them for example via,
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/OpenLayers-2.8/examples/getfeatureinfo-control.html
... the page, openlayers, the data... it all works, but when I go to
identify a feature, the proxy.cgi script is spit back to me inside the
webpage.  Is this a python problem, or something mis-configured in geoserver
or ???
geoserver has a built-in rest proxy, there's no python involved; you
probably need to change the proxy url in your sample page to point to
the geoserver proxy /rest/..something
Piero Campa
2010-03-29 09:41:24 UTC
Hi guys,
I'm just asking for an explanation of the set-up of a proxy with
Geoserver/OpenLayers stack.

I installed the user friendly Geoserver Proxy Extension, then I set the
allowed hosts and MIMEtypes.
Reading this thread I learned that I have to specify the proxy in the
script:

OpenLayers.ProxyHost = "/geoserver/rest/proxy?url=";

but if I do that I can't visualize WFS layers. Only the Google base-layer
map and the WMS rasters.

But uf I let OpenLayers not to know anything about this proxy, I can get all
the maps. Both on localhost and from a remote machine.
Does it make sense for you?

Thanks.
Piero
Piero Campa
2010-03-29 10:20:16 UTC
(Additionally I would say, "Everything works fine... in Firefox, Safari,
Chrome and Opera (...)". Does it sound familiar to you? )
Piero
Piero Campa
2010-03-31 08:13:56 UTC
Any supposition about this?
I mean, it's weird that I get the features via WFS without setting the proxy
(in OpenLayers), while if I set it no features are returned.
Isn't it?

Piero